Calendar: March 17

Year: Day to Day Men: March 17

Morning’s Red Splendor

The seventeenth of March in 1916 marks the birth date of Ray Ellington, an English singer, drummer and bandleader. He specialized in jazz but experimented with many other genres. Ellington’s musical style was heavily influenced by songwriter and saxophonist Louis Jordan’s up-tempo hybrid of jazz, blues, and boogie-woogie. 

Born Henry Pitts Brown in Kennington, London, Ray Ellington was the youngest of four children to Eva Stenkell Rosenthal and Harry Pitts Brown, an African-American music hall comedian. After his fathe’s death in 1920, he was raised as an Orthodox Jew and, beginning in 1924, attended the South London Jewish School until 1930. Ellington entered show business at the age of twelve with his first acting appearance on a London stage. 

In 1937, Ellington joined Harry Roy and His Orchestra as the band’s drummer. At his first session with the band, he did vocals along with his drumming for the 1937 song “Swing for Sale”. In May of 1940, Ellington was called for military service. He joined the Royal Air Force and became a physical training instructor for the course of the war. Ellington also played in service bands including the RAF’s Blue Eagles in 1945. 

After demobilization, Ray Ellington resumed his music career with a group of his own musicians that played at London’s The Bag O’Nails club. After rejoining Harry Roy’s orchestra for a couple of months, he formed the Ray Ellington Quartet in 1947. Ellington’s band was one of the first in the United Kingdom to feature the simple guitar, bass, drums and piano format that became the basis of rock and roll. The band was also one of the first jazz bands in the United Kingdom to feature an amplified guitar. 

The guitarist in the Ray Ellington Quartet was Trinidadian Lauderic Rex Caton, an autodidact on guitar who played professionally from the age of seventeen. He was also proficient on saxophone, double bass and banjo. Jazz pianist Dick Katz studied at the Peabody Institute, the Manhattan School of Music and the Juilliard School. He became the favorite pianist of Benny Carter, Coleman Hawkins and vocalists Carmen McRae and Helen Merrill. Jamaican-born George Coleridge Goode was the bassist  and had recorded with Django Reinhardt the year before the quartet was formed. He had a long collaboration with alto saxophonist Joe Harriott and became involved with Harriott’s pioneering blend of jazz and Indian music, the Indo-Jazz Fusions. 

From 1951 to 1960, the Ray Ellington Quartet had a regular music segment on “The Goon Show”, a radio comedy program broadcast by the BBC Home Service and occasionally the BBC Light Program. Musical performances alternated with scripted comedy segments. Occasionally Ellington would have small speaking roles in many of the episodes; no attempt was made to change his normal accent regardless the role.

Ray Ellington was married to British actress Anita West, who also co-hosted the BBC children’s program “Blue Peter”. They had two children, Nina and Lance. Lance Ellington became a singer who recorded several jazz-oriented albums. After a prolific forty-year recording career, Ray Ellington died of cancer on the twenty-seventh of February in 1985.

Notes: The online “The Seagoon Memoirs” has a short May 2022 article on Ray Ellington by Nick Reeves. The article includes photos, newspaper reviews and several videos including the Ray Ellington Quartet performing “Pink Champagne”. The article is located at: https://www.theseagoonmemoirs.com/post/ray-ellington

Jasmine Records issued a thirty-song collection in 2019 entitled “Ray Ellington: That Rock’n’Rollin’ Man” which contains several songs from his early to mid 1950s Columbia 78 rpm records.

Calendar: March 16

Year: Day to Day Men; March 16

The Darkness of the Night

The sixteenth of March in 1621 marks the day Samoset, an Abenaki sagamore, made contact with the Pilgrims of the recently established Plymouth Colony, the first permanent English colony in New England. 

Samoset was a sagamore, or subordinate chief, of an Eastern Abenaki tribe that resided in Maine. The Abenaki, ‘People of the Dawn Land’, are indigenous people of the Northeastern Woodlands of Canada and the United States. The are an Algonquian-speaking people and part of the Wabanaki Confederacy of the five principal Eastern Algonquian Nations. 

Samoset had learned some English from visiting an earlier settled fishing camp in the Gulf of Maine; English fishermen would fish cod off the coast of Mohegan Island. In March of 1621, Samoset was visiting Massasoit, the sachem or leader of the Wampanoag Confederacy. Massasoit’s people had been seriously weakened by a series of epidemics and were vulnerable to attacks by the Narragansetts, the most powerful tribe in the region when the English colonists arrived in 1620. Massasoit Sachem sought an alliance with the Plymouth colonists as a way to protect his people.

On Friday, the sixteenth of March in 1621, Samoset entered the settlement at Plymouth alone and greeted the colonists in English. He was the first indigenous person with whom the colonists could converse. Samoset told the colonists about the land, the sagamores, and his people’s strength and numbers. He was also acquainted with many of the captains and fishermen who visited the colony. Samoset and the colonists communicated and, in the evening, lodged at colonist Stephen Hopkin’s house. 

The next morning, the Plymouth colonists gave Samoset a knife, bracelet and a ring before he left with a promise to return. On the twenty-second of March, Samoset returned with Tisquantum, commonly known as Squanto, the last known member of the Wampanoag Patuxet tribe. Squanto, who spoke a greater degree of English, arranged a meeting between the leaders of the colonists and Massasoit.   

Massasoit forged critical personal and political ties with colonial leaders William Bradford, Stephen Hopkins, Edward Winslow, John Carver and Myles Standish, which grew from the peace treaty negotiated on the twenty-second of March in 1621. The alliance assured the neutrality of the Wampanoag Confederacy during the 1636 Pequot War. 

Notes: In the fall of 1621, the Narragansetts sent a sheaf of arrows wrapped in a snakeskin to Plymouth Colony as a threatening challenge. Plymouth governor William Bradford sent the snakeskin back filled with gunpowder and bullets. The Narragansetts understood the message and did not attack them.

English Sea Captain Christopher Levett entertained Samoset and other tribal leaders in 1624 onboard his ship at harbor in Portland, Maine. Samoset is believed to have died circa 1653 in Pemaquid, Maine.

Calendar: March 14

Year: Day to Day Men: March 14

Aries the Ram

The fourteenth of March in 1878 marks the birth date of Louis Nikola, a British magician, actor, director and author. Born Walter James Obree Smith in Southampton, he performed under the stage name of Louis Nikola, a persona he found in Australian novelist Guy Newell Boothby’s series of occultist criminal mastermind Dr. Nikola, an early Victorian forerunner to Fu Manchu.

Louis Nikola began his career as a professional magician in 1901. Known for his painstaking perfection and inventive illusions, he performed throughout the world. Nikola’s “Card Castle” was one of the many highlights in his performances. After spreading a deck of cards on a tray, he would cover it with a silk scarf and slowly raise the scarf. At its height, the scarf would be removed to reveal a standing castle built from the cards. He would deliberately jog the tray and the castle would collapse due to its delicate construction. 

Nikola published some of his magic through a series entitled “The B.O.P. Magician” that appeared in the 1898-1899 Volume XXI of “The Boy’s Own Paper”, a British story-paper run by the Religious Tract Society to provide young male readers with a positive moral influence. In 1927, Nikola published “The Nikola Card System: A New Power for Magicians”, a card system for magic tricks more advanced than the previous “Si Stebbins” or “Eight Kings” stack systems. Even on close examination, the pre-arrangement of cards was seemingly impossible to detect. 

In 1934, Louis Nikola published a compendium of articles on fifty magic illusions entitled “Magical Masterpieces” in a collaboration with magic historian Will Goldston. Among the illusions in the volume were “The Incorrigible Cigars”, “A Message from Mars”, and “The Topsy Turvy Tea Table”. Nikola is credited with the invention of two major magic illusions: the “Magic Melding” in the early 1930s and, in collaboration with magician Roy Enoc, the “Milk Pitcher” circa 1917. 

In addition to his magic illusions, Louis Nikola was also an entertainer proficient in the art of hand shadows. Using a light source and his two hands, he would create shadow representations of  animals as well as historic and fictional characters. In 1913, Nikola published a small volume entitled “Hand Shadows: The Complete Art of Shadowgraphy” that contained, along with the illustrations of fifty hand shadows, instructions on lighting and hand exercises. A second edition was printed in 1921.

Beginning in 1913, Nikola was discovered by the British film industry who cast him in several films as a magician and a spiritualist. He was an actor in director Charles Raymond’s short 1913 “The Seer of Bond Street”, a six character story of a fake medium attempting to steal money from an heiress. Nikola was screenwriter, director and actor for the 1914 “Magic Squares”, an animation of paper squares and hand shadows.

Walter James Obree Smith died at the age of fifty-eight in South Harrow, London on the eleventh of November in 1936.

Calendar: March 13

Year: Day to Day Men: March 13

Perched

The thirteenth of March in 1930 marks the discovery of Pluto, the ninth largest and tenth most massive known object to directly orbit the sun of this system. Like other objects in the Kulper belt, the circumstellar disc in the outer solar system, Pluto primarily consists of rock and frozen volatiles such as methane, ammonia and water. 

In the 1840s, French astronomer and mathematician Urbain Le Verrier used Newtonian mechanics to predict the position of the, as yet, undiscovered planet Neptune after analyzing deviations in the orbit of Uranus. Subsequent observations of Neptune in the late 1800s led astronomers to speculate that Uranus’s orbit was being affected by another planet beside Neptune. 

In 1906, wealthy astronomer and mathematician Percival Lowell began an extensive project at the Lowell Observatory to search for a possible ninth planet, that he termed Planet X. Lowell and astronomer William H. Pickering had by 1909 suggested several possible celestial coordinates for this Planet X. Lowell continued his search, with calculations established by mathematical genius Elizabeth Langdon Williams, without any success until his death in 1916. 

Unknown to Lowell, his research surveys had captured two faint images of Pluto on March 19th and April 7th of 1915; however, these images were not recognized as being of Pluto. There exists fourteen other known observations of Pluto which predate its discovery, the earliest being that of the University of Chicago’s Yerkes Observatory on the 20th of August in 1909.

In 1919, Percival Lowell’s widow, Constance Lowell, entered into a ten-year legal battle with the Lowell Observatory over her husband’s legacy. The search for the unknown planet did not resume until 1929. American astronomer Clyde Tombaugh, at the age of twenty-three, continued Lowell’s quest. His task was to systematically image the night sky in pairs of photographs. Each pair would be examined to determine if any objects had shifted position. This was done through the use of a blink comparator that shifts back and forth between photographs to create the illusion of movement for any object that had changed position in the photographs. 

On the 18th of February in 1930, after a year of searching, Tombaugh detected a possible moving object on the photographic plates taken on January 23rd and 29th. A photograph of lesser quality taken on the 21st helped confirm the movement. After the Lowell Observatory had taken additional photographs to confirm the discovery, a telegram with the news was sent to the Harvard College Observatory on the 13th of March in 1930. 

The name Pluto came from the Roman god of the underworld; it is also an epithet for Hades, the Greek equivalent of Pluto. As one Plutonian year corresponds to 247.94 Earth years, Pluto will be back in the same position of its discovery in 2178. On the twenty-ninth of July in 2005, astronomers at Caltech announced the discovery of a new trans-Neptunian object, named Eris, which is substantially more massive than Pluto and the most massive object discovered in the solar system since Neptune’s moon, Triton, in 1846.

Calendar: March 12

Year: Day to Day Men: March 12

Gazing into Space

The twelfth of March in 1925 is the birth date of Harry Harrison, an American science fiction author. A longtime resident in both Ireland and the United Kingdom, he assisted in the founding of the Irish Science Fiction Association and was co-president with author Brian Aldiss of the Birmingham Science Fiction group.

Born Henry Maxwell Dempsey in Stanford, Connecticut, Harry Harrison was drafted into the United States Army Air Force upon graduating from  high school in 1943. He served during World War II as a gunsight technician and as a gunnery instructor. Harrison eventually became a specialist in prototypes for computer-assisted bomb-sights and gun turrets. After leaving military service in 1946, he enrolled in New York City’s Hunter College and later operated a studio that sold illustrations to both comic and science fiction periodicals.

Harrison initially worked in the science fiction field as an illustrator, primarily with two comic anthologies, “Weird Fantasy” and “Weird Science” published by William Gaines’s “EC Comics”. His illustration work was mostly done in collaboration with comic book artist Wally Wood; Harrison’s layouts would usually be inked by Wood. The two men freelanced together for several publishers until their partnership ended in 1950. 

Harry Harrison worked under several pseudonyms during his career including Philip St. John, Wade Kaempfert, Felix Boyd and Hank Dempsey. He was hired to write the 1964 “Vendetta for the Saint”, one of the long mystery series featuring novelist Leslie Charteris’s character The Saint. Harrison also wrote for syndicated comic strips, most notably for the “Rick Random: Space Detective” series created by Conrad Frost and Bill Lacey. His first short story was 1951 “Rock Diver”, a classic Western plot with a sci-fi twist that described the effect of passing through matter.

Harrison was the main writer during the 1950s and 1960s for the “Flash Gordon” newspaper strip. His most popular and best known works are his later satirical science fictions and his reconstructions of the traditional space-opera adventures. Harrison’s twelve volumes of “The Stainless Steel Rat” series featured the futuristic con-man and thief, James Bolivar diGriz. This series ran from 1957 to 2010. He published “Bill, the Galactic Hero” in 1965. This was a satirical science fiction novel of Bill, a farm boy on a small agricultural planet who is shanghaied into the Space Troopers to fight a reptilian race named Chingers.

Harry Harrison wrote many stories on serious themes. The best known is his novel about overpopulation and consumption of the planet’s resources, the 1966 “Make Room! Make Room!”. This novel provided the basic idea for the 1973 science fiction film “Soylent Green”, written by Stanley R. Greenberg and directed by Richard Fleischer. 

Harrison and author Brian Aldiss collaborated on a series of anthology projects and, in 1973, instituted the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Best Science Fiction Novel. They also published the first of two issues of “SF Horizons”, the world’s first serious journal of science fiction criticism. Harrison and Aldiss edited nine volumes of “The Years Best Science Fiction” anthology series as well as three volumes of the “Decade” series that collected stories from the 1940s to the 1960s. 

Although he did not win a major award for any specific work, Harry Harrison was inducted into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame in 2004. The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers named him the 26th Grand Master in 2008. Harrison became a cult hero in Russian with the winning of the 2008 Golden Roscon Award for lifetime achievement in science fiction.

Harrison spent most of his later years residing in Ireland, having gained citizenship through his Irish grandparent. He had also kept apartments in London and Brighton, England. Upon the death of his wife Joan Merkler Harrison in 2002 from cancer, Harrison made his Brighton home his permanent residence. He died in his Brighton apartment in August of 2012.

Calendar: March 11

Year: Day to Day Men: March 11

Juxtaposition

The eleventh of March in 1887 marks the birth date of Raoul Walsh, an American film director, actor, and founding member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 

Born Albert Edward Walsh in New York, Raoul Walsh studied at Seton Hall College, a private Roman Catholic research university in New Jersey. In 1909, he began an acting career in New York City theaters. Walsh became an assistant to film director David Wark Griffith in 1914. He acted in his first full-length feature film, D.W. Griffith’s 1914 silent drama “The Life of General Villa”. Shot on location in Mexico, the film starred Pancho Villa as himself in actual as well as recreated filmed battles; Walsh played the role of Villa as a younger man.

In 1915, Walsh served as assistant director on D.W. Griffith’s silent epic “The Birth of a Nation”, the first non-serial American twelve-reel film ever made. In the film, he had the role of John Wilkes Booth, the stage actor who assassinated President Abraham Lincoln at Ford’s Theater. Walsh and Carl Harbaugh created the screenplay for Walsh’s  directorial debut from an adaptation of Owen Kildare’s 1903 memoir “My Mamie Rose”. This critically acclaimed 1915 silent drama “Regeneration”, shot on location in Manhattan’s Bowery district, was the first full-length feature gangster film. 

After his service in the United States Army during World War I, Raoul Walsh directed United Artist’s 1924 silent “The Thief of Bagdad” which starred and was produced by Douglas Fairbanks. One of the most expensive films of the 1920s, the film was lavishly staged on a Hollywood studio set and contained state of the art special effects. In 1926, Walsh directed “What Price Glory?”, a synchronized sound film with a music score and sound effects, that starred Dolores del Rio and Victor McLaglen. 

Walsh directed the 1928 “Sadie Thompson”, which starred Gloria Swanson, and appeared in the role of Swanson’s boyfriend; this was his first acting role since 1915 and his last as well. While directing and acting in the 1928 western “In Old Arizona”, Walsh was in a car crash that resulted in the loss of his right eye; he would wear an eye patch for the rest of his life. Walsh directed his first widescreen film for Fox Studios in 1930, the epic wagon train western “The Big Trail” which starred the then unknown John Wayne, a former prop man. In 1933, he directed “The Bowery”, a historic drama of residents in New York’s Bowery district during the 1890s. The first film produced by Twentieth Century Pictures, it starred Wallace Beery, George Raft, Fay Wray, and child actor Jackie Cooper.

After an undistinguished period with Paramount Pictures, Raoul Walsh’s career soared with his work at Warner Brothers from 1939 to the end of his contract in 1953. During this period, he directed many of the major studio stars in Hollywood. Among his films were the 1939 “Roaring Twenties” with James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart; the 1940 crime western “Dark Command”, made under Republic Pictures, with Claire Trevor, John Wayne, Walter Pidgeon and Roy Rogers; the 1941 “High Sierra” with Bogart and Ida Lupino: the 1941 “Manpower” with Edward G. Robinson, George Raft and Marlene Dietrich; and the 1949 “White Heat” with James Cagney.

Walsh made his last films as a freelancer for five different studios. Among these were the 1952 “Blackbeard the Pirate” with Robert Newton in the lead role; the 1953 “The Lawless Breed” with Rock Hudson in an early starring role as gunman John Wesley Hardin; the 1958 “The Naked and the Dead”, an adaptation of Norman Mailer’s World War II novel; and Walsh’s first Cinemascope production, the 1955 “Battle Cry” starring Tab Hunter, Aldo Ray and Hugh Van Heflin with a screenplay by author Leon Uris. 

By the early 1960s, Raoul Walsh was suffering from physical difficulties, most notably fading sight in his good eye. He retired from the film industry in 1964. Walsh died from a heart attack on the last day of December in 1980 in Palm Springs, California at the age of ninety-three. His legacy of sixty-nine sound pictures as well as the many earlier silent films remains among the most-impressive bodies of work submitted by any Hollywood director.

Calendar: March 10

Year: Day to Day Men: March 10

Tiny Bubbles

The tenth of March in the year 1831 marks the creation of the French Foreign Legion, a corps of the French Army that consists of infantry, cavalry, engineers and airborne troops. Unique in that it is open to foreign recruits willing to serve in the French Army, its training currently focuses on traditional military skills as well as its strong esprit de corps.

Created by King Louis Philippe of France, the French Foreign Legion allowed foreign nationals into the French Army from the foreign regiments of the Kingdom of France. These recruits included soldiers from the disbanded German and Swiss foreign regiments of the Bourbon monarchy that was overthrown in 1830 during the reign of Louis XVI. Philippe’s Royal Ordinance specified that recruited foreigners could only serve outside France.

During the nineteenth-century, the French Foreign Legion was primarily used to protect and expand the French colonial empire. Initially stationed in Algeria with detachments from the French port city of Toulon, the Legion took part in the pacification and development of that colony. It was later deployed in a number of conflicts, including the Crimean War in 1854, the Franco-Prussian War in 1870 and the Second Madagascar expedition of 1895. The Foreign Legion fought in many critical battles on the Western Front in World War I and took part in the Norwegian, Syrian and North African campaigns of World War II. 

By the middle of the 1960s, the Foreign Legion was no longer stationed in French Algeria after the country’s independence in July of 1962. President Charles de Gaulle originally considered totally disbanding the Legion; however after considering its performance over the years, he chose instead to downsize the Legion from forty thousand to eight thousand men that would be relocated to France’s metropolitan regions. Legion units continued to be assigned overseas but no longer to North Africa. 

Besides ongoing global rapid deployments, the Foreign Legion stationed forces on various continents while operating different function units. From 1965 to 1967, the Legion operated several companies, which included the 5th Heavy Weight Transport Company. Ongoing operations and rapid deployments in the following years included, among others, peacekeeping operations around the Mediterranean during the Global War on Terror; peacekeeping along with the United Nations Multinational Force during the Lebanese Civil War; and the 1990 Gulf War where a Legion force made up of twenty-seven different nationalities was attached to the French 6th Light Armored Division. After the ceasefire, the Legion conducted a joint mine clearing operation with the Royal Australian Navy divers.

As of 2021, French Foreign Legion members are composed from one hundred-forty countries. In the past, new recruits enlisted under a pseudonym in order to allow recruits who wanted to restart their lives to enlist without prejudice. As of September of 2010, new recruits have the option of enlisting under their real name or a declared name that, after a year, may be changed to their real name. After serving in the Foreign Legion for three years, a legionnaire may apply for French citizenship. He must be serving under his real name, have no issues with the authorities, and must have served with honor and fidelity. Women, who had been barred from service previously, were admitted after 2000.  

Calendar: March 9

Year: Day to Day Men: March 9

The Cross Bearer

The ninth of March in 1940 marks the birth date of actor Raúl Rafael Carlos Juliá y Arcelay known for his intense and varied roles on stage and screen. For each of his film roles, Raúl Julia did extensive character research to familiarize himself with their experiences and ideologies. During his life, he did charitable work mostly focused on at-risk youth, the Latin-American community and the arts.

Born in a suburb of San Juan, Puerto Rico, Raúl Julia attended a private Catholic school in Hato Rey. He later attended Colegio San Ignacio de Loyola where. interested in the works of Shakespeare, he organized and performed in plays of “Julius Caesar”, “Hamlet’, “King Lear”, and “The Tempest’. Julia studied for a year at New York City’s Fordham University before attending the University of Puerto Rico where he earned his Bachelor of Arts degree. Although his parents wanted him to have a career in law, Julie chose acting as full-time career.

In Puerto Rico, Julia performed in several Shakespearean plays including “Macbeth” and “Othello” at San Juan’s theaters. He was subsequently recruited by actress and comedian Lillian Hurst to perform alongside her. During one of their performances, Julia was noticed by actor Orson Bean who suggested he continue his acting career in New York City. After working a variety of odd jobs in Manhattan, he sought work in both Broadway and off-Broadway productions. 

After receiving his Actors Equity card, Raúl Julia was able to get a role in the production of “Bye Bye Birdie”. In September of 1968 after four auditions, he debuted in his first Broadway production as the character Chan in “The Cuban Thing”. In the following two years, Julia appeared in playwright Arthur Kopit’s 1969 production “Indians” and Mel Arrighi’s 1970 “The Castro Complex”. Julia also worked in the medium of television in the early 1970s as Rafael the Fix-It Man, a recurring role in the third season of “Sesame Street”. 

Julia performed in several major theatrical productions during the 1970s. For his role of Proteus in the 1971 rock musical “Two Gentlemen of Verona”. he was nominated for a Tony Award and won the 1972 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Performance. In 1974, Julia received his second Tony Award nomination for his role of Charley Wykeham in the 1974 Broadway revival of “Where’s Charley”. In 1976, he was nominated a third time for his role of Mack the Knife in “The Threepenny Opera”. From late October of 1978 to June of 1979, Julia played the role of Count Dracula in the Broadway revival of “Dracula” with Edward Gorey’s stage sets.

 Raúl Julia’s film career began with roles in three films during the early 1970s: the crime thriller “The Organization”; the drama  “The Panic in Needle Park”, his first feature film; and the film adaption of Richard Fariña’s novel “Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me”. The most notable of Julia’s film work at this time was his role of prison inmate Valentin Arregui, played opposite William Hurt as Luis Molina, in the 1985 drama “Kiss of the Spider Woman”. To understand his role, Julia traveled to South America where he interviewed rebels and ex-prisoners to familiarize himself with their experiences. He was nominated for the Golden Globe Award and won, along with William Hurt, the National Board of Review of Motion Pictures Award for Best Actor.

In addition to being a distinguished actor in numerous film, television and theater productions, Julia continued the charitable work that had been done by his parents. Concerned about the rising levels of violence among teenagers, he sponsored screenwriting programs and supported young actors. Julia was constantly involved with the Latin American community and served as the chairman of the Joseph Papp Celebrity Coalition for Racial Harmony. As part of his work for The Hunger Project, he made monthly donations, promoted the program through advertisements and narrated its bilingual videos. Julia was given the Global Citizen Award for his work with The Hunger Project and, in 1992, received the Courage of Conscience Award. 

Unknown to the public, Raúl Julia suffered from stomach cancer for three years prior to his death. During those years, he played the title role in the 1992 Broadway revival of “Man of La Mancha”, with performances eight times a week. Julia also reprised his role as Gomez Addams in the 1993 “Addams Family Values” and took a supporting role in the 1994 television series “Down Came a Blackbird”. In early 1994 during the filming of “The Burning Season” in Mexico, Julia was airlifted to a hospital in Los Angeles for medical attention. Upon his recovery, he finished the film.

On the sixteenth of October in 1994 after attending New York’s Metropolitan Opera, Julia was rushed by ambulance to the North Shore University Hospital in Long Island due to intense abdominal pains; his situation gradually worsened. On the night of the twentieth, Julia suffered a stroke, fell into a coma and was put on life support. Raúl Julia died on the twenty-fourth of October at the age of fifty-four from complications of a stroke, never having gained consciousness. His body was flown to Puerto Rico where a state funeral attended by thousands was held in San Juan. 

Calendar: March 8

Year: Day to Day Men: March 8

Center Stage

The eighth of March in 1761 marks the birth date of Count Jan Potocki, a Polish nobleman, linguist, ethnologist, traveller and author of the Polish Age of Enlightenment.

Born into an aristocratic family that owned vast estates across Poland, Jan Potocki was educated in the Swiss cities of Geneva and Lausanne. He frequently visited the Paris salons and toured Europe before returning to Poland in 1778. As a soldier, Potocki served twice in the Polish Army, first in 1778 with the Austrian army during the War of the Bavarian Succession, and later in 1779 as a military engineer. 

During his extensive travels across Europe, Asia and North Africa, Potocki as an early pioneer of travel literature documented prevailing customs, active wars, revolutions, and cultural awakenings. He was also one of the first ethnologists with his studies of early Slavic peoples from a linguistic and historical perspective. Fascinated with the occult, Potocki studied ancient cultures, secret societies and their rituals. As a member of the Polish Parliament, he participated in the Great Sejm, whose aim was to restore the sovereignty and reform the Commonwealth, both economically and politically. 

In 1790, Jan Potocki became the first person in Poland to fly in a hot air balloon when he accompanied French aeronaut Jean-Pierre Blanchard on an ascent over Warsaw, an exploit that brought him public acclaim. After a period in France, he established in1788 a Warsaw publishing house, Drukamia Wolna (Free Press), and printed  pamphlets and newspapers advocating for social reforms. Potocki also established Warsaw’s first free reading room. 

Potocki’s most famous literary work, originally written in French, is the framed-tale “Manuscrit Trouvé à Saragosse (The Manuscript Found in Saragossa)”. A framed-tale is a literary technique that serves as a companion piece to a story within a story; the introductory or main narrative sets the stage for either a second narrative or a set of shorter stories. Potocki’s novel is a collection of intertwining stories of Romani, thieves, inquisitors, princesses and the brave but foolhardy hero, the infantry guard Alphonse van Worden. The stories cover the wide range of Potocki’s interests: the gothic, the erotic, the historical and the supernatural. 

The initial work of “Manuscrit Trouvé à Saragosse” were published in 1805 apart from the rest of the novel; the stories comprising the Gypsy chief’s tale were added later in 1810. Written incrementally, its final form was never exactly completed at the time of Potocki’s death.  Sections of the original French version were lost but have been back-translated into the French from a Polish translation by Edmund Chojecki in 1847. In 1965, director Wojciech Has adapted the novel into a Polish-language black and white film “The Saragossa Manuscript”, that was admired by many 1960s counterculture figures such as Jerry Garcia, Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola. 

Jan Potocki married twice and had five children; both marriages were the subjects of scandalous rumors, the first ended in divorce. In 1812, he retired, disillusioned and in poor health, to his estate in Uladivka in present-day Ukraine. Potocki worked on his novel during the last years of his life. Suffering from depression and clinical lycanthropy (believing he could transform into a werewolf), he committed suicide on the twenty-third of December in 1815 by shooting himself with a silver bullet blessed by his local Catholic priest. 

For his contributions to Poland, Jan Potocki was awarded the Order of the White Eagle, the highest award of merit for the Republic of Poland. He also awarded a knighthood in the Order of Saint Stanislaus, 1st Class, as well as the Imperial Order of Saint Prince Vladimir, 1st Class, the highest award for continuous civil and military service. 

Calendar: March 7

Year: Day to Day Men: March 7

Gold Pinstripes

The seventh of March in the year 1837 marks the birth date of American physician and amateur astronomer Henry Draper. Both a professor and Dean of Medicine at City University of New York, he was one of the pioneers in the field of astrophotography. 

Born to John William Draper, a professor at New York University, and Antonia Caetana de Paiva Pereira Gardner, daughter of the royal physician to the Emperor of Brazil, Henry Draper completed all his medical courses at the City University of New York’s School of Medicine by the age of twenty. Too young to graduate, he toured Europe for a year and became acquainted with the work of Irish astronomer William Parsons, Third Earl of Rosse. Draper’s interest in photography and the Earl of Rosse’s observatory would later become the basis of his career.

On his return from Europe, Draper received his Medical Degree and began working as a physician at Manhattan’s Bellevue Hospital. In 1860, he received appointment at the City University of New York as Professor of Natural Science. Draper joined the Twelfth New York Infantry Regiment’s S Company in May of 1862 as a surgeon during the Civil War. His brother, John Christopher Draper, joined him as an assistant surgeon; they served together as surgeons until October in 1862. Draper became Chairman of the Department of Physiology at City University in 1866.

Henry Draper met Mary Anna Palmer, the daughter of Connecticut merchant and real estate investor Courtlandt Palmer, and married her in 1867. A well-educated woman, Mary Anna Draper collaborated with her husband in his expeditions, research and photography. Upon her father’s death in 1872, she became heir, along with her three brothers, to her father’s fortune. Henry and Mary Anna Draper relocated to their summer home in Hastings-on-Hudson, New York, where they constructed an observatory with a 71 cm (28 inch) reflecting telescope and began a fifteen-year research partnership.

Interested in the application of photography to astronomy, Draper started making daguerrotypes of the sun and moon; however in 1872, he succeeded for the first time in photographing the stellar spectrum of the star Vega. Draper discovered in 1879 that the newly developed dry-photographic plates were more sensitive and convenient than the older wet-collodion ones. By 1882 with the use of the newer photographic plates, he was able to obtain over a hundred stellar spectra images, including those of the Moon, Mars, Jupiter (1880) and the Orion Nebula. Draper also succeeded in directly photographing the Orion Nebula, first in September of 1880 with a fifty-minute exposure and later with a one hundred-forty minute exposure though the use of a more accurate clock-driven telescope.

In 1882, Henry Draper resigned from City University to concentrate on his astrophotographic work for which he hoped to obtain higher resolution images. On the twentieth of November in 1882, Draper suffered an untimely death at the age of forty-five from double pleurisy, an inflammation of the membranes that surround the lungs and line the chest cavity. 

After his death, Mary Anna Draper funded the Henry Draper Award of the National Academy of Sciences  for outstanding contributions to astrophysics. She founded the Henry Draper Memorial Fund which financed the famous Henry Draper Catalogue, a nine-volume collection published between 1918 and 1924 that contains spectra details of two hundred twenty-five thousand stars. Draper’s donations enabled astronomer Edward Charles Pickering to continue his classification of stars based on their spectra. She also funded the construction of the Mount Wilson Observatory as well as ongoing research at the Harvard Observatory.

Calendar: March 6

Year: Day to Day Men: March 6

Embossed in Every Song

The sixth of March in 1665 marks the publishing of the first journal in the world exclusively devoted to science. Published under the name “Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society”, this journal of natural philosophy, the equivalent of what is today science, is also the world’s longest published scientific journal. 

The first issue of “Transactions”, printed in London, was edited and published by the Royal Society’s first secretary Henry Oldenberg. The Society had resolved that the council’s minutes be composed by the secretary and printed on the first Monday of every month; any tracts published were to be revised before publication and became the property of the Royal Society. Oldenberg printed the journal at his own personal expense and was allowed by the society to retain any resulting profits. He published one hundred-thirty six issues of the “Transactions” with no financial gain except the cost of rent on his house.

The “Transactions” was a well-regulated scientific journal. At its inception, regulation in the form of registering the author and date, peer review, dissemination and archiving published articles were all implemented. Oldenberg envisioned the published journal as a collective notebook between scientists to examine new ideas and discoveries. Issue number one contained articles on the improvement of optic glasses, the first report on Jupiter’s Great Red Spot, new whale fishing in the Bermudas, and chemist Robert Boyle’s article “Experimental History of Cold”. 

Although many readers saw the journal as the official periodical of the Royal Society, Henry Oldenberg always claimed that “Transactions” was entirely his sole enterprise. From this understanding, Oldenberg retained the prospect of financial gain and credibility by association, and the Royal Society enjoyed communicating advances in science without being directly responsible for its content. It should be understood that at this time in England, publications were heavily regulated and the idea of a free press did not exist. The first English newspaper, The London Gazette, at its appearance in November of 1665 was still an official organ of the government.

In 1752, the Royal Society took control of the “Philosophical Transactions” and, as such, published it for the sole use and benefit of the society. The journal was financed through membership’s subscriptions and was edited by the society’s Committee of Papers. Although the society’s secretaries were responsible for management decisions such as printing and distribution, editorial control was done through the Committee of Papers’s weekly meetings. Records were kept regarding the authors, the source of the work, and the date the scientific paper was presented to the committee. 

Over the years, controls on membership to the Royal Society as well as the articles published in its journal became stricter. Both a more limited membership to protect the society’s reputation and a stricter peer review of articles were established. In 1887, the “Transactions” journal was separated into two categories, physical science and biological science. Sectional committees were established to cover mathematics, botany, zoology, physiology, geology as well as chemistry and physics. From 1896, authors were expected to present manuscripts in a standardized format and style; typed papers were later required to reduce errors in and speed up the process of printing.

Today “Transactions” is an established, world-wide scientific journal with about eighty-per cent of its peer-reviewed articles coming from non-United Kingdom authors. The editing is accomplished through a large professional in-house staff with a group of research Fellows assigned for each category of science. The role of the Committee of Papers was abolished and two Fellows now act as journal editors assisted by associate editors from each category. In 1997, the “Transactions” began to be published online. Articles throughout its history have included Isaac Newton’s “New Theory about Light and Colors”, Michael Faraday’s “Experimental Relations of Gold and Other Metals to Light” and Alan Turing’s 1952 “On the Chemical Basis of Morphogenesis”, among others. 

Calendar: March 3

Year: Day to Day Men: March 3

Warmth of the Sun

The third of March in 1585 marks the inauguration of the Teatro Olimpico designed by Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio. Since 1994, the Olympic Theater, along with other Palladian-styled buildings in and around the city of Vicenza, have been listed together as a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage Site.

Born Andrea di Pietro della Gondola in Padua, Republic of Venice in November of 1508, Andrea Palladio was influenced by Roman and Greek architecture and is considered one of those individuals who most influenced the history of architecture. He trained under noted sculptor Bartolomeo Cavazza de Sossano as an apprentice stonecutter for six years. When his contract was finished,  Palladio permanently relocated to Vicenza where his career was unexceptional until 1538. 

Between 1538 and 1539, Palladio rebuilt the Villa Trissino, the Cricoli residence of poet and scholar Gian Giorgio Trissino who  was engaged in a lifetime study of ancient Roman architecture. Due to his work, Palladio received the formal title of architect in 1541. He took several trips, accompanied by Gian Trissino, between 1541 and 1547 to study classical monuments in Rome, Tivoli, Paletrina, and Albano. As a mentor, Trissino introduced Palladio to the history and arts of Rome as well as bestowed on him the name ‘Palladio’ which means the Wise One. 

Throughout his career in Vicenza, Andrea Palladio designed many villas and governmental palaces. His first construction project involving a large town house was the Palazzo Thiene in Vicenza. After the death of its architect Giulio Romano, Palladio finished its construction. He used Romano’s design for the villa’s windows but altered the facade to express a new lightness and grace. Among the villas attributed to Palladio’s architectural designs are the Villa Pisani, his first patrician villa for a Venetian family, and Villa Cornaro, a villa at Piombino Dese that was a mixture of villa rusticate (country house) and suburban villa with a grand salon designed for entertaining.

In 1550, Palladio began construction on the Palazzo del Chiericati, an urban palace built on a city square near Vicenza’s port. It was designed with a two-story facade with a double loggia divided by rows of Doric columns. Paladio’s Palazzo del Capitaniato, the offices of the regional Venetian governor, was a contrasting design of red brick and white stone. The four brick half-columns of its facade formed a strong vertical element that balanced the horizontal balustrades and projecting cornice at the top. Designed in 1565, the Palazzo del Capitaniato was built between 1571 and 1572.

Ranked among his highest masterworks, the Teatro Olimpico was Palladio’s final architectural design and was not completed until after his death. In 1579, the Olympic Academy obtained the rights to build a permanent theater in the old fortress, Castello del Territorio, which had been both a prison and storage depot for gun powder before falling in disuse. Asked to produce a design, Palladio used the space to recreate an academic reconstruction of the Roman theaters he had closely studied. In order to fit a stage and seating area into the building’s wide and shallow space, Palladio had to flatten the semicircular seating area of a Roman theater into an ellipse.

Andrea Palladio died in August of 1580, only six months after the construction on the theater had started. His sketches and drawings were used as a guide; Palladio’s yongest son, Silla Palladio, and Vicenza architect Vincenzo Scamozzi oversaw the final construction work. Scamozzi contributed several rooms to the design and built the rusticated entrance archway that was fitted into the rough, well-worn walls. As Palladio had not left any plans for the onstage scenery, Scamozzi created trompe l’oeil scenery with oil-lamp lighting to give the appearance of long streets receding into the distance. The full Roman-style wood and stucco backscreen is the oldest surviving stage set still in existence. 

The Teatro Olimpico was inaugurated on the third of March in 1585 by a production of Sophocles’s “Oedipus Rex” with music by composer and organist Andrea Gabrieli. After only a few productions, the theater was essentially abandoned. The scenes created for the production were never removed and still exist in place. The original lighting system of glass oil lamps has been used only a few times over the years due to the risk of fire; they were lit in 1997 for a production of “Oedipus Rex”. 

Due to conservation issues, current performances in the Teatro Olimpico are limited to four hundred attendees. As heating and air conditioning could damage the delicate wooden structure of the stage sets, performances are held only in the spring and autumn. The theater was a film location for the 1979 film “Don Giovanni” and the 2005 “Casanova”.

Calendar: March 2

Year: Day to Day Men: March 2

Windows to the City

The second of March in 1842 marks the birth date of Carl Christian Hillman Jacobsen, a Danish brewer, art collector and philanthropist. He was the founder of the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, regarded as one of the preeminent museums in Denmark.

Born in Copenhagen, Carl Jacobsen was the son of Danish industrialist Jacob Christian Jacobsen who, in addition to serving a period as Member of Parliament, founded the Carlsberg Laboratory, a biochemical research center that examined the process of brewing. Carl Jacobsen’s initial education was at the Borgerdyd School in the Christianshavn neighborhood of Copenhagen. Beginning in 1866, he began a four-year study abroad of Europe’s leading breweries.

Upon his return to Denmark, Jacobsen was employed at a brewing annex of his father’s Carlsberg brewery; however, bitter conflicts developed between father and son. His father, due to the family tensions, founded the Carlsbergfondef (Carlsberg Foundation) which he endowed with the controlling shares of the business. In 1882, Carl Jacobsen founded his own brewery, the Valby Brewery, and later changed its name to Ny Carlsberg (New Carlsberg). Jacob Jacobsen changed the name of the original brewery to Gammel Carlsberg (Old Carlsberg).  

A reconciliation between Carl Jacobsen and his father was eventually achieved in 1886. Upon the death of his father in April of 1887, Carl did not obtain control of the Gammel Carlsberg brewery. It was not until 1906 that the two Carlsberg breweries merged into one entity with Carl Jacobsen chosen as Chief Executive Officer by the Carlsberg Foundation, the majority owner. Jacobsen would remain as CEO of the newly established Carlsberg Group until his death in 1914.

Carlsberg Brewery finished its first brew in November of 1847; the exportation of Carlsberg beer began in 1868 with one barrel shipped to Edinburgh, Scotland. Since then, the Carlsberg Group has become a multinational brewer whose flagship brand is Carlsberg beer. Currently it is the sixth largest brewery in the world based on revenue. The Carlsberg Group has facilities throughout European and Asian countries; it is the brewer of such beers as Tuborg, Kronenbourg, Somersby Cider, Holsten and more than five hundred local beers.

Carl Jacobsen was not a political individual as was his father, but rather a cultural enthusiast. Known for his interest in Greek and classical art, he was an avid antique collector. His collecting led to the 1897 founding of the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek to which he donated his entire collection of antiques. Jacobsen was also interested in architecture and employed the leading Danish architects of the time, including historical architect Jens Vilheim Dahlerup, to design his brewery sites. He was responsible for the restoration work done on several public buildings and churches in Copenhagen as well as financing the city’s 1913 iconic harbor sculpture “The Little Mermaid”. 

Jacobsen was a member of the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts and Académie des Beaux-Arts as well as honorary member of the Société des Artistes Français. He was awarded a Knighthood in the Order of Dannebrog in 1888 and received in 1912 the Grand Cross, a reward for meritorious service to Denmark. Carl Jacobsen died in January of 1914 and was buried in the family’s mausoleum at Jesus Church in Copenhagen.

Calendar: March 1

A Year: Day to Day Men: March 1

On the Edge of His Seat

The first day of March in 1932 marks the kidnapping of Charles Augustus Lindbergh Jr., the twenty month-old son of aviator Colonel Charles Lindbergh and Anne Morrow Lindbergh, from his crib on the upper floor of the family home in East Amwell, New Jersey.

On the evening at nine o’clock, the Lindbergh’s nurse Betty Gow discovered that the child was not with his mother who had just come out of the bath. She alerted Charles Lindbergh who went to the child’s room and discovered a ransom note on the windowsill. Armed with a gun, Lindbergh and the family butler, Olly Whateley, searched the grounds and, under the window of the child’s room, found impressions of a ladder and the child’s blanket. Whateley telephoned the Hopewell police department while Lindbergh contacted the New Jersey State Police as well as his attorney and friend Henry Breckinridge. 

Both police departments conducted an extensive search of the home and its surrounding area. A fingerprint expert examined both the note and ladder; however, no usable footprints or fingerprints were discovered. No adult fingerprints, outside of the inhabitants of the house, were found in the child’s room. The examined ladder was built incorrectly, but by someone who had prior experience in construction. It was categorized as to type of wood, pattern of nail holes, and as to whether it was made indoors or outdoors.

The handwriting of the $50,000 ransom note contained many spelling and grammatical errors; the note was determined to have been written by one person. The bottom of the note contained two blue, interlocked circular lines surrounding a red circle; a hole was punched through the center of the red circle. Two more holes were punched to the left and right of the blue circular lines.

In an effort to get the public involved, the New Jersey State police offered a reward to anyone who could provide information. The Federal Bureau of Investigation did not have federal jurisdiction in the case until the thirteenth of May in 1932 when the President declared that the bureau was available to the New Jersey State Police. Full federal jurisdiction over the kidnapping case did not occur until October of 1932. Many theories were advanced and examined by the authorities. The reward for information on the kidnapping kept increasing until it eventually reached a total of $75,000 US dollars ( approximately $1,317,000 US dollars in 2022).  

On the sixth of March, a ransom letter for $70,000 arrived at the Lindbergh home. The envelope was postmarked from Brooklyn, New York; the letter contained the same strange marks and holes as the original ransom note. Ten days later, a package containing a note and young Lindbergh’s sleeping suit arrived at the home. The ransom money was placed in a wooden box and delivered on the second of April to a man who claimed to be part of the kidnapping team. In exchange, a note was presented saying the Lindbergh child was in the care of two innocent women.

On the twelfth of May, delivery truck driver Orville Wilson and his assistant William Allen pulled over to the side of the road about 4.5 miles (7.2 km) south of the Lindbergh home. In a grove of trees, they found the body of a child. The child’s skull was fractured and the hastily buried body was badly decomposed. Nurse Betty Gow identified the child’s body as being Charles Lindbergh Jr. Due to the state of the body, the family insisted on cremation.

Two and a half years later, gold-certificate bills from the ransom money was traced back to a Bronx, New York, man named Richard Hauptmann. When arrested, he was found carrying one of the bills from the ransom. A search of his residence revealed over $14,000 of the ransom money in his garage. Hauptmann denied any part in the crime; however, the search of his residence revealed a construction sketch of a ladder similar to that found at the Lindbergh home. A section of wood discovered in the attic was tested and found a match to the wood of the ladder.

Richard Hauptmann was indicted in New York for extortion on the twenty-fourth of September in 1934. On the eighth of October in New Jersey, he was indicted for murder and transferred to New Jersey authorities two days later to face kidnapping and murder charges for Charles Lindbergh Jr. 

At the end of the long trial, Hauptmann was found guilty of the kidnapping and murder charges; the sentence for the crimes was death. His sentence was appealed two times by his lawyers; both appeals failed. Hauptmann was given a last minute offer to commute his death sentence to life without parole in exchange for a confession to the crimes; he refused the offer. Richard Hauptmann was executed in the state of New Jersey on the third of April in 1936. 

Calendar: February 29

Year: Day to Day Men: February 29

Mediterranean Adventure

The twenty-ninth day of February in 1912 marks the falling of the Piedra Movediza, a balancing rock that was located near the city of Tandil in the Buenos Aires Province of Argentina. A balancing rock, or precarious boulder, is a naturally occurring geological formation that features a large rock of substantial size which is resting on other rocks, glacial fill, or bedrock. No single scientific term for the phenomenon exists. 

There are several types of geological features that are included under the term balancing rock: glacial erratic that are transported and deposited by glaciers or ice rafts to their resting place; perched blocks deposited due to glaciers, avalanches or landslides often on a slope or hillside; erosional remnants that are carved from local bedrock through extensive wind, water, or chemical erosion; and pedestal rock, a single continuous rock form with a very small base and a much larger crown. Although not a true balancing rock, a pedestal rock has the appearance of one. These rocks are now believed to have been formed through years of wind and chemical weathering of its base.

The Piedra Movediza was most likely a deposited boulder; it was situated balanced at the edge of a formation of bedrock. Its weight was approximately three-hundred tons, or 272.2 metric tons, and its pedestal was so thin that the boulder was balanced with the wind. The boulder rocked, imperceptible to the eye, from morning to evening in a extremely slow fashion. Visitors to the site would place bottles under the bottom of the rock only to see them broken later in the day.

The Piedra Movediza fell and broke on the twenty-ninth of February in 1912, some time between five o’clock and six o’clock in the evening. There were no witnesses to the event so the true time and cause of the fall are unknown. Several theories regarding its fall were presented among which were vibrations from a nearby quarry blast, people rocking the stone during the day, and disgruntled quarrymen weary of the tourists. No official reason for the fall, however, was ever issued. 

Proposals were made to move the three segments of the broken boulder back to its original site on the hill and cement them into position; however nothing was done, most likely due to the mass of each segment. In 2007, a replica of the Piedra Movediza was placed in the original site, now considered a historical symbol of the city of Tandil. The replica does not move as it is securely fastened to the supporting bedrock. This original bouder site is now named Parque Litico La Movediza (La Movediza Lithic Park).

Balancing rocks are found world-wide on all continents. Among these are Finland’s seven-meter long Kummakivi in Ruokolahti, Zimbawe’s Balancing Rocks, a large-scale formation of igneous rocks perfectly balanced; the nine-meter tall Pinnacle Balanced Rock at the Chiricahua National Monument in Arizona, United States; and the Pena do Equilibrio, a giant granite balancing rock in Ponteareas, Spain.

Insert Image: Photographer Unknown, “The Piedra Movediza”, circa 1890, Vintage Print